> On 9/7/05 4:56 PM, "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I have to agree with willytex here, Rick (as far as the Brits are
concerned).
> > They are responsible for preserving much of the ancient literature
> > they found when they arrived in India.  For many, no doubt, it was
> > to study the "inferior culture", but others were very impressed with
> > Hinduism as a way of thought and belief (C.S. Lewis, for example).

I don't know anything about Indian history, but have studied european
colonization and know the british were thoroughly racist and generally
attempted to stamp out the culture of those they conquered as part of
a strategy of keeping them divided and weak.

I've studied african drumming and the traditional rhythms have been
preserved in parts of west africa colonized by the french who were
more tolerant of the indigenous culture than the british.

I'm sure there were some nice intellectuals back in england like cs
lewis who liked what was being sent back but who was on the ground in
india doing the preserving?  any non-english references??