"Natural and moral philosophy, on the contrary, can each have their empirical
part, since the former has to determine the laws of nature as an object of
experience; the latter the laws of the human will, so far as it is affected by
nature: the former, however, being laws according to which everything does
happen; the latter, laws according to which everything ought to happen. Ethics,
however, must also consider the conditions under which what ought to happen
frequently does not."  -Kant