Great find-reminder  of an old unconventional colleague from an old
forlorn misty time and thank you, my dear Judy, for  this summary of his
work
"We have to transform the art of medicine into the science of
care."Kaptchuk's research helps explain why doctors often think they
have found a breakthrough treatment, only to find to their embarrassment
years later that a placebo pill or other sham treatment works just as
well.
here

"The Placebo Phenomenon"   Harvard Magazine in pdf format to download
http://g.virbcdn.com/_f/files/71/FileItem-274887-HarvardMagazineJanuary2\
013.pdf
<http://g.virbcdn.com/_f/files/71/FileItem-274887-HarvardMagazineJanuary\
2013.pdf>

Big pharma looks to ancient China for new cures
http://tinyurl.com/b6gardo
http://tinyurl.com/bjodswc
Kaptchuk, 62, has a college degree in religious studies from Columbia
University and is one of the few Harvard medical professors without a
Western graduate degree.

[http://hms.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/assets/HarvardMedicine/2011_\
Spring/Bench_3.jpg]
and now check this list of publication at PubMed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=search&db=pubmed&term=Kaptchuk+TJ\
[au]
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"  wrote:

> Good article in Harvard Magazine on the very latest in
> placebo-related research, profiling a researcher at
> Harvard Medical School who is studying (among other
> aspects) the neural mechanisms of the placebo effect in
> both patients *and* physicians (research on the latter,
> which is still in process, has never been done before):
(c&p from that article)
"imaging the brains of physicians while they treat patients—a side
of the  treatment equation that no one had previously examined. (The
researchers  constructed an elaborate set-up in which the doctors lay in
fMRI  machines specially equipped to enable them both to see their
patients  outside the machine and administer what they thought was a
nerve-stimulating treatment.) "Doctors give subtle cues to their
patients that neither may be aware of," Kaptchuk explains. "They
are a  key ingredient in the ritual of medicine."lol