On 01/30/2013 12:52 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu  wrote:
>> On 01/30/2013 11:14 AM, salyavin808 wrote:
>>> No, it's nothing pleasant but it is a UK TV show well worth
>>> checking out.
>>>
>>> Suppose your favourite comic book turned out to be true? OK if it
>>> was a Disney production but Utopia is a dark tale of conspiracy,
>>> madness, sinister genetic experiments and finally, forced
>>> incarceration in a mental hospital. Suppose you acquired the next
>>> installment and someone didn't want you to read it. Someone who
>>> would stop at nothing?
>>>
>>> http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/utopia/23988/first-full-trailer-for-channel-4-comic-book-drama-utopia
>>>
>>> Rather uncompromisingly violent but lots of fun if you've a
>>> strong stomach for that sort of thing.
>>>
>>> Buck rating: Don't even think about it.
>> Wonder when it will make it across the pond?  Too British
>> in style often means it may be available on Netflix and other
>> streaming services.  OR ... the bad... remade as a US series
>> and the Channel 4 version kept out of the US as part of the
>> deal. Something like this happened with "The Killing" which
>> the original is still not available for streaming or even
>> purchase in the US, but a third season has been green lit
>> by AMC after a fan uproar. Or it might wind up on Syfy as
>> a summer series. Would rather have it streaming and uncut.
> It really is sad how the Brits audiences are so much
> smarter than the American ones. I think that may be
> the limitation that keeps UK and Danish producers
> from holding out for a direct release or a subtitled
> release in the U.S.
>
> "The Killing" was SO much better in its Danish original
> that it makes the American remake pale by comparison,
> and I actually *liked* the remake...for what it was.
>
> The best TV series I saw last year, "The Bridge," or
> "Bron/Broen," also from Denmark, looks as if it will
> never get an American release. Instead they are going
> to remake it. I shudder to imagine the result. Both
> of these series were *enormous* hits in the UK,
> although subtitled.
>
> The thing is, the American networks somehow believe
> that Americans are too stupid to follow even the Brit
> accents in English-language UK series (and they might
> be right), so they remake *them*, too. This one ("Utopia")
> is quite interesting, at least judging by the first
> episode that I just watched. You'd really enjoy it. A
> pity that it will probably be remade for the US market
> as well...

The American general public unless it's PBS or BBC America can't
tolerate accents much at all.  So the remakes.  Yup, dumbing down for
the stupid.   They don't like subtitles either so "The Killing" got a
remake.  They also don't like dubbing which is kinda funny as they
denounce 1970s Italian films not knowing that all languages including
Italian got dubbed so they didn't need to stomp carpenters on the
adjacent set to stop hammering why they shot a scene.  The money is to
be made on the stupid when it comes to advertising.

However some of the foreign languages and UK series do wind up on Netflix.