--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> jim_flanegin wrote:
> > The Principal can make all the excuses he or she wants to, but the
> > responsibility for the successful running of the school ultimately
> > rests with them.
> >
> So, why do you think the principal, in this case the mayor of New
> Orleans, didn't evacuate the city before the storm? The mayor is
> responsible for the first line of defense, not the federal
> government.

Actually, as soon as the president decleared a
state of emergency--on Friday, August 26--it
automatically became the federal government's
responsibility, not just the relief efforts but
preparedness, including the initial evacuation.

That's according to both the federal National
Response Plan and the state/city response plans.

Everyone--from the mayor on up--knew there were going
to be at least 100,000 people who would be left behind.
If the feds have declared a disaster, it's up to the
feds to deal with whatever local government can't
handle.