None of this rant, Barry, contradicts anything I've said.
J-P II knew exactly what he was doing when he put
Ratzinger in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine
of the Faith.

The Vatican is very good at "saving face" when it needs
to (although the predatory-priest scandal has been more
than it could successfully cover up).

But there was no chance it would ever have "abolished"
its war against heresy in the Church, whatever reforms
it may have made. If it ever does, it will no longer
*be* the Roman Catholic Church.

The "darkness" of the means it uses to root out heresy
will wax and wane depending on who wields the power and
on Vatican and Church politics, as well as the political
and social situation outside the Church. But the
inquisitorial mindset is inherent and permanent; it is
itself doctrinal.