--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Ravi Chivukula  wrote:

> Barry on Adyashanti -
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FairfieldLife/message/288636
> - very spot on, serious, joyless.
>
> He is just a good speaker - nothing less, nothing more.

For the record, Ravi, all I was speaking about in my
praise of this website was its/his "way of doing busi-
ness." That struck me at the time (and still does) as
a very CLEAN approach to teaching spiritual subjects
in a very DIRTY smorgasbord of lazy, unscrupulous,
and money-grubbing dilettantes. The book itself is
free, or sold for the cost of printing. The teachers
"invited" to teach the same approach are clearly named,
and just as clearly it is stated that anyone else who
might be hosting discussion groups is On Their Own,
and that they do not necessarily reflect Adya himself
or his teachings. Having seen so much of the opposite,
I liked the CLEAN approach.

That said, a quick glance through the first few chap-
ters of this freebie book reminded me of the humorless-
ness and seriousness that I first detected in the
video I commented on earlier. I would not be tempted
to "study with" Adya, although I'd be open to seeing
him sometime if he were ever in my area, largely
because of that overly Serious vibe I get from him
that I also get from so many Zennists or former
Zennists. Not my cuppa tea.

Nor is his choice of language. I find it imprecise
and overly project-my-experience-onto-everyone-else's-
experience, especially his overuse of a word I don't
like at all, and don't believe in even the concept
of, Truth. Just because he experienced it don't make
it Truth, and just because he experienced it don't
mean that he can guide others to experiencing it also,
let alone that it would be Truth for them.

I'd love to hear how he deals with students who attain
his level of supposed "Truth" but then find it either
lacking in satisfaction and move on to something
further, or just "move on" naturally, as the result
of continual spiritual growth. I would think that the
test of his rap would be how he'd handle that in one
or more of his students.

That said, it *was* a pleasure to encounter someone
who has seemingly witnessed most of the things that
can possibly go WRONG with spiritual teaching, and who
has developed a teaching model that seeks to avoid
as many of these traps and pitfalls as possible. The
CLEAN nature of his presentation and the way he handles
the *business* of teaching is impressive, and I commend
him for that. The "Way" that he teaches, I have no
comments on, because I'm not in the market for one,
except my own.