On 02/14/2013 10:18 AM, Alex Stanley wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/sexual-revolution-polyamory-may-good-154751829.html
>
> On Valentine's Day, images of couples are everywhere. They're buying each
> other diamond rings, making eyes over expensive restaurant meals and
> canoodling over chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne. But two-by-two
> isn't the only way to go through life. In fact, an estimated 4 to 5 percent
> of Americans are looking outside their relationship for love and sex — with
> their partner's full permission.
>
> These consensually nonmonogamous relationships, as they're called, don't
> conform to the cultural norm of a handholding couple in love for life. They
> come in a dizzying array of forms, from occasional "swinging" and open
> relationships to long-term commitments among multiple people. Now, social
> scientists embarking on brand-new research into these types of relationships
> are finding that they may challenge the ways we think of jealousy, commitment
> and love. They may even change monogamy for the better.
>
> "People in these relationships really communicate. They communicate to
> death," said Bjarne Holmes, a psychologist at Champlain College in Vermont.
> All of that negotiation may hold a lesson for the monogamously inclined,
> Holmes told LiveScience.
>
> "They are potentially doing quite a lot of things that could turn out to be
> things that if people who are practicing monogamy did more of, their
> relationships would actually be better off," Holmes said.
>
> [rest of story at link]

We should rename it "future diabetics day." :-D

Like Halloween it's been turned into a big commercial holiday. All to
make money for the candy companies and florists. Only in capitalistic
America. I've told the story here before but back in the 1990s at the
company where I worked I knew there were a number of single people and
particularly ones who had just broken up with someone so I proclaimed an
evening at the company favored dive bar across the street as a gathering
for a "Valentines Bah Humbug!" party. It was very popular except that
the bar owner didn't like the idea so next year he made sure he had a
Valentines event going on.

So happy Valentines to those who feel it and Valentines Bah Humbug to
those who don't. :-D

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: