A couple of people wrote me offline about this, agreeing with my
assessment of the Eagles as America's best rock 'n roll band, ever.
Thus I'll follow up on my original post to see whether anyone else
has different ideas of who the Best American Band Ever might be.

I have to hold out for the Eagles, for many reasons. One is their
unique sound, that heavenly blending of voices on their classic
songs. In the documentary I commented on earlier, there is a great
moment in which legendary rock producer Glyn Johns described
meeting the Eagles. They came seeking him, because he was
considered the best, but he listened to them and came away
underwhelmed, telling them he had no interest in producing their
records. And he was about to walk out when he heard them
improvising around "Seven Bridges Road" in the studio they
were rehearsing in. THAT stopped him in his tracks. See the
documentary or listen to the clip below; those harmonies still
have that same ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-q7Mih69KE
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-q7Mih69KE>

Another reason they were the best was the songwriting. Superb. Top
flight, matched only by a handful of other songwriters in history.
Don Henley and Glenn Frey were a "natural" songwriting duo from
Day One, and learned a lot from people like Jackson Browne and
Joni Mitchell along the way. Many of their songs are as close to Art
as rock 'n roll has ever gotten.

The third is their very longevity. As is discussed (and recorded in
the documentary), rock 'n roll bands are almost *destined* to break
up. *Everybody* in a band expects it to break up at any moment,
just because of the constant volatility of creative people bumping
uglies with each others' egos to create music. And, of course, the
Eagles were not immune to this. But they got over it.

When they did, in fact, the first song that Glenn and Don wrote
together -- the first *day* they got together again after 14 years
apart -- was a little ditty called Get Over It:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gek3maVEoLY
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gek3maVEoLY>

Even on the level of financial and popular success, the Eagles rule.
If asked, "Who released the record album that sold the most copies
in history," most people would cite the Beatles, or Elvis. No way,
Jose...it was a certain California band. There is a reason the Eagles
hold that honor, and it's *all over* this great documentary. So if you
have Showtime, or when it comes out on DVD or Bluray, again I
highly recommend it.