Another Castandean omen about Paris, if one were inclined to interpret
it as such, was the discovery a few weeks back that the book I most
wanted to read (long out of print and now available only for $500 or
more) was available in its original in a museum in Paris.

The book is an autobiography of sorts, written as a graphic novel, in
the form of Tibetan tsakli. Tsakli are miniature paintings made on
stiffened canvas, a little larger than modern playing cards. They depict
many traditional Tibetan Buddhist subjects -- deities, teachers,
mandalas, and esoteric symbols associated with certain teachings or
initiations. In fact, tsakli are also often referred to as initiation
cards, because they were often commissioned to commemorate someone's
initiation into one of the higher teachings. I am rather a fan of this
unique artform, and own several originals from the 1800s, which you can
see here if you are interested:

http://www.ramalila.net/RoadTripMind/gallery.html
<http://www.ramalila.net/RoadTripMind/gallery.html>

Anyway, what got me so jazzed about seeing this particular set of
tsakli, this card-sized comic book from the 17th century, is who painted
it, and who it was the secret (hidden even from Tibetans) autobiography
*of*. The book is called "Secret Visions of the Fifth Dalai Lama: The
Gold Manuscript in the Fournier Collection Musee Guimet, Paris,"
(http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Visions-Fifth-Dalai-Lama/dp/0906026474
<http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Visions-Fifth-Dalai-Lama/dp/0906026474>  )
and it's just what the title says. For those who don't know, he was the
most famous DL in Tibet's history
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Dalai_Lama
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Dalai_Lama>  ), although not the
most infamous; that honor falls to his successor, the Sixth Dalai Lama,
my netnamesake, the Turquoise Bee
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Dalai_Lama
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Dalai_Lama>  ).

The book consists of reproductions of this spiritual graphic novel, and
as I suggested above, is prohibitively expensive. But the originals are
available -- and for free, at least twice a week -- in a museum in
Paris. I may be able to see it after all, and in the form of the
original paintings, not reproductions. Cool. Sacré bleu.