 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2013 9:10 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Free Man In Paris v1.04

Well, it's beginning to look more like a Done Deal, so I guess I'll
start forwarding these musings to others. *Nothing* can be considered an
absolutely Done Deal when working with the client in question, but it's
looking WAY good, so I'll start posting these cafe rambles as a kind of
occult whammy, the way I used to do in New York after interviewing for
gigs that weren't certain, but that I wanted to be. I'd leave the
interview and celebrate, as if the gig *were* certain; once I even
celebrated by going out and buying a new suit to wear to the job, even
though it hadn't really been formally offered to me yet. It always
worked, so I'll try it again.

The project itself, having now talked with the project leader, is
exciting, literally the highest-profile, highest-priority project that
the client's got going right now, and one on which its entire future
business plan to some extent depends. I *like* that in a project; it
really helps when you're trying to get something done and run into
obstacles -- all you have to do is invoke the name of the project you're
working on, and the obstacles magically disappear.

But best, it's in Paris.

It looks as if I'll rent a small flat there and commute via Eurostar.
>From past experience, that's just as fast -- feet in one city center to
feet in another -- as flying, and almost as cheap. The bullet train is
also far more comfortable, because you can get up and wander around,
dine on something more than airline food, and drink good wines in the
Bar Car, conversing with your Netbuddies via WiFi. My kinda commute. :-)

I'll miss the dogs and the rest of my extended family, of course, but
I'll be home on weekends, and fortunately they have no problem taking
over my dog-walking duties while I'm gone. To be honest, all of the
adult members of the family are already making plans to take regular
jaunts to Paris themselves, the idea of having a free pied-à-terre
there not being exactly anathema to them, either.

So. A new chapter of the novel -- or pulp fiction or comic book...your
call -- of my life. Cool. Sacré bleu.

And what's fun, even for the people on this forum who wish me less than
the best, is that it might not even happen. If it doesn't, you'll get to
see me deal with disappointment, and have to keep working from home as
usual. Won't THAT be something to look forward to?  :-)