on 9/10/05 10:51 PM, Cliff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> *gate-crash the Kingdom of Heaven* - nice turn of phrase...
>
> I remember one particularly vivid experience, where during one of the very
> early *flying* sessions in Europe, Jay leaped to his feet, bent over and
> picked
> up a mutual friend like he was a barbell weight, held the guy up horizontally
> over Jay's head, and began yelling in his Southern Preacher Voice:
> *Lord!!! Heal this Sinner!!!*
>
> The whole room went beserk.  I can't imagine how we were allowed to stay
> in the little town - it was truly like an insane asylum of the Middle Ages
> where
> anything (verbal) went.

I heard from Jim Linford that on his course in Vittel there was actually a
profanity flying room where people swore like sailors the whole time.

>And we were allowed out on walk-and-talks!  I've
> never really
> considered how bizarre that must have been for the French and Swiss people -
> to hear utterly dangerously insane people screaming for hours from within the
> hotel, and then have these smiling (albeit somewhat pale and pasty looking)
> faces emerge briefly after lunch...   :-)

Ah, crazy flying room stories. Here's one:

The Nicaragua group during the World Peace Project (my group was in Iran,
with Cliff) was staying in a nice hotel which continued to host other
groups. The flying room was separated from a public dining room by one of
those accordian-style dividers, which wasn't at all sound-proof. The gang
would march in there in their suits and ties, meditate and do sutras, then
many would take a bathroom break before flying. So they'd march out past the
non-meditating guests in what must have looked like pajamas. Then half an
hour of THUMP, THUMP, THUMP. Then half an hour of silence. Then back out in
their suits and ties. Everyone was under strict instructions to stifle the
desire to make vocal noises during flying. But then Larry Domash came to
visit. He was irrepressible. One of his favorite phrases was "Execute the
prisoners!" So he started shouting this during flying and as I heard the
story, this got everyone else going.

Then there were charter plane flights where several hundred people started
flying in their seats, which appeared to the flight attendants as though a
group epileptic seizure were underway.