For those of you who were secretly hoping that my gig in Paris would
fall through and that you'd be able to make all sorts of snitty remarks
about how the Laws Of Nature were finally (and deservedly) getting
medieval on my ass, you'll have to wait. The gig is a go (the delay in
surety caused only by big bureaucracy taking fuckin' forever to sign a
simple contract), and I'll be in the City of Lights in a few days.
Pauvre, pauvre moi.

And my work for other clients is finished, so I'm feeling as if I were
already on vacation, so Road Trip Mind is setting in. To celebrate, and
to "recapture the mindset" (à la Michael Mann's 1986 "Manhunter") I'm
celebrating today by re-watching three of my favorite "Paris movies."

The first may not be known to you, but should be, especially if you love
Paris and love the classic black-and-white images you've seen of it in
the work of Robert Doisneau and Henri Cartier-Bresson. It's a 2005
classic by Luc Besson, better known for his action films such as "Leon:
The Professional" and "Nikita" and "The Fifth Element." As with all
three of the films I'll be rapping about, it's one man's unashamed and
unabashed love song to Paris, but this one is also an homage to film
itself, being somewhat of a takeoff of Frank Capra's "It's A Wonderful
Life."

In "Angel-A," the person standing on the bridge contemplating suicide is
not a family man but a bit of a Parisian scam artist down on his luck,
played by Jamel Debbouze. If you know him at all, it's from his
endearing role in the third of the movies I'll be rapping about, but
*everyone* in France both knows him and loves him; he was the ONLY big
star in that movie, before it became an international phenomenon.
Anyway, as in IAWL, as he (5'5" short and not all that attractive) is
standing there on the bridge about to do himself in, an angel played by
Rie Rasmussen (a 5'10" statuesque and beautiful Dane who is a filmmaker
in her own right) appears, and they begin a series of misadventures.
It's a lovely movie, full of heart, but what makes it utterly
spectacular is the photography. The cinematography by Thierry Arbogast
is all in black-and-white and high contrast, colors that the City of
Lights wears well.

The second film is Woody Allen's 2011 "Midnight In Paris." Woody can be
either "on" or "off" with his movies these days, but this one is so ON
it's like a return to his best work in the 70s (it won the Oscar for
Best Screenplay and got Woody nominated for Best Director). Gil (Owen
Wilson, *wonderful* in this role) is in Paris with his fiance, who
really doesn't "get" his love for the city and what he associates it
with, the era of the "Living well is the best revenge" writers and
artists in the 20s.

Gil feels out of place in our modern world, and longs to be a writer
himself. He identifies with people like Hemingway, Cole Porter, Zelda
and Scott Fitzgerald, Joséphine Baker, Alice B. Toklas, Gertrude
Stein, Pablo Picasso, Djuna Barnes, Salvador Dalí, Man Ray, Luis
Buñuel and that crowd. So what happens? Magic happens, and he is
magically transported every midnight back in time, and gets to hang with
them. It's really a lovely film, one of Woody's best, and the shots of
Paris (this time with color cinematography by Darius Khondji) are To Die
For.

The third film, of course, is Jean-Pierre Jeunet's love song to the
neighborhood where he lives in Paris, "Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie
Poulain," better known to non-French as "Amélie." There has never
BEEN a more realistic portrait of Paris presented onscreen, which is
curious in a way because at the time it was released, "Amélie" was
the film containing the most CGI modification of any film ever made.
Literally *every* shot was color-modified, to present it not as it
looked when captured on film, but as how Jeunet saw it in his mind.

Le Cafe des Deux Moulins, as it looks in real life:

Le Cafe des Deux Moulins, as Jeunet sees it:

That's the way I see Paris in my mind as well. In two days I'll be
seeing it that way through my eyes.

This film contains my favorite statement by a filmmaker about WHY  one
makes movies, or creates any kind of Art, for that matter. It's also a
statement about why those who never taught TM will never understand
those of us who did, and why they are incapable of fully understanding
what it was like, because they never had this experience. Amélie is
sitting in a movie theater, and explains in voiceover to those of us
sitting in a theater watching the movie what *she* likes best about
sitting in a theater watching a movie: "I like looking back at other
people's faces in the dark."

That's really it. You do what you do to see the look on other people's
faces when they "get" it. Those who have never had that experience will
never understand those who have.