Since Barry has already done the heavy lifting (I agree with everything he said
about how seriously we took this role and what kind of scumbaggery is afoot
when someone violates that trust) I would like to add two more things that I'll
bet Ravi can relate to.

Have you ever met a very attractive chick between the ages of 28 and 34, never
married, and you are at first surprised by how quickly she seems attracted to
you.  (Your lucky day you think!)  On your first date she hits you with a
question about your views on kids before the salad arrives and it comes to you
that you are not on a date, you are on a job interview.  No questions about
what you have read lately to see if your intellectual compatibility will lead
to long discussions into the night, but how well you fit into a role as a daddy
to her mommy.  There is something oddly impersonal about this interaction that
always left me cold.  The initial show of attraction was no longer flattering,
it was never about YOU.  Same chick doesn't even make the effort to pretend to
dig into her purse when the check comes so you can gallantly wave her off with
an "I got this".  She just sits back, looks you dead in the eye and conveys,
"That's right, this is how this is going down.  All applicants pay for their
own interview, that is how I can run the numbers I need to find him."

Chicks attracted to teachers had some of this vibe.

The second point that I'll bet you have seen is that cults have so many little
unspoken cultural rules that it is less likely that you would be genuinely
attracted to a person at a different level of involvement than you.  In TM the
diet thing was huge.  I was eating our version of a vegetarian diet and 95%
Indian food with Ayur Vedic this and that, so something as seemingly innocuous
as someone who ate garlic was a total turnoff.  If they announced that they
wanted a nice juicy burger (a statement that today would make me appreciate her
more for her lust for life and sensual foods) would send me running. Like
attracts like and when you have mistaken your conditioned preferences for
"refined" enlightened tastes, that doubles the effect.  I was only seriously
romantically interested in teachers of TM when I was a teacher.  There were too
many secrets to maintain if they had not been through the training, and their
soul was at stake.

Abusing the power differential, this attitude of really not taking the person
seriously for a relationship and just using them, was a characteristic of the
escapades of the Maharishi.  It sounds so far that the Girish may have been
running the same version of hit and run.