Shortish blog post by a neuroscientist:

http://coronaradiata.net/2013/03/09/fire-and-consciousness-a-metaphor/

Money quote:

"...Neuroscience appears to be advancing in the battle to understand
consciousness. We are rapidly moving towards understanding what Cristof Koch
calls the "neural correlates of consciousness" (NCC), that is, the brain events
that correlate with conscious states. As this work advances, correlations will
become more precise. Rather than simply recording from a brain and recognizing
sleep from wakefulness, or stages of sleep, we are and will be able to identify
the type of task the conscious brain is engaged in. Slowly specifics about the
task will emerge. The ability to determine which of two movies a subject is
thinking about can be identified. Eventually, conceivably, via precise
correlates, neuroscientists may be able to accurately read conscious minds. In
a parallel train, in a manner similar to Borghish, physicians and scientists
may be able to advance consciousness control, and steer someone's brain into
particular patterns. Perhaps very precise states. Perhaps, very precise
thoughts and memories.

"If this advance in technology is reached, will we be able to say that we
understand consciousness? No. We will have precise understanding of the
physical conditions necessary for consciousness to emerge, but the conscious
state that we all know (and love) will remain deeply mysterious. We will know
the recipe, not the chemistry (or physics). Whence the unity of conscious
experience? The sense of self? The perception of agency and control? Answers
are not clear...."