I think you're referring to a recent New Yorker article about how sleep habits
have changed. But the reference in that article was to 18th century America not
cave people. So it wasn't that long ago. I'm thinking of trying it: going to
bed at 8:30 or so, sleeping till 1, then getting up and doing stuff till about
3, then going back to bed  until 6.