You know, what haunts me is how many people on separate occasions
said they felt like they were treated like animals and left to die
like animals. "We slept like rats in the streets" "we can't do
anything but scrounge around in our filth like animals" "our dead are
treated like animals" statements like this. And the tone they said
these things with--the incredulity and despair. It reminded me of
what a history professor drilled into us: "Every country is just 3
square meals away from a revolution." But not just revolution,
humanity and civilization is that tenuous. We *are* animals but
sometimes other animals treat those within their own species better
than we do within our own species, and so I don't think the animal
analogy is quite right. What people went through after Katrina is
more like how CAGED animals live--in varying degrees of squalor and
neglect and 100% helplessness.