that's a pretty good assessment Ann

________________________________
 From: Ann <awoelfleba...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:35 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Anita Moorjani's NDE

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Yifu" <yifuxero@...> wrote:

> She also has an uncommon viewpoint of karma, surprising having been raised in
> a Hindu family (but went to a Catholic School). She was asked about criminals
> and generally those with bad karma. Her reply was that all people merge into
> the non-dual state and also - their karma is eradicated.
> I don't agree with this, or see how it's possible; from what I grok as the
> nature of karma. (with the caveat that since karma is ultimately
> unfathomable, nobody knows a lot about it).  In any event, as cause and
> effect, karma seems to be a storehouse of "good" and "bad" elements, the
> latter roughly defined as baggage that detracts from Dharma and one's ongoing
> evolution toward greater Happiness. The baggage may be in the form of raw
> attachments and a storehouse of prior events.
> .
> But strictly in terms of cause and effect, erradicating the karma would take
> an input of additional "causes" - i.e. some effort and work put into the goal
> of eradicating it, as offsetting a weight.
> I don't see how mere death would equate to the offsetting causes sufficient
> to eradicate the storehouse of "bad" karma.  But Anita doesn't even accept
> the concepts of good and bad. (but ymmv).
> But nor do I agree with the Christian concept of Sin and how to offset the
> consequences therof.  Offhand, I'd say that merely accepting Jesus and one's
> Savior might be insuffient cause to eradicate ALL bad karma in all cases.
> Many criminals convert to nominal Christianity after getting into prison.
> Does their bad karma vanish merely because of the new profession of faith?,
> instantaneously?
> My hypothesis: criminals at death go to the hellish worlds inhabited by
> criminals, Saints to their Heaven. Death is not a free pass to nonduality or
> happiness; imo.
> http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/8/72183.jpg

I thought about the karma thing too when reading Anita's book. One way to view
what happens after death, in her viewpoint a great equalizer, is that to be
capable of great atrocities during one's lifetime means one is already in a
sort of living hell. What could cause someone to torture animals or people or
go to endless lengths in order to gain wealth, to exploit others sexually, to
exploit someone's good nature or trust? What would allow someone to do that is
to be living an existence devoid of feeling or empathy, to be bereft of the
more subtle and sensitive impulses that guide the life that is filled with the
capacity to understand and place oneself within the delicate space of another -
to be able to relate and therefore to feel you can understand and want to
enhance the condition of another person. To be unable to feel such things is a
sort of hell, so after this life of suffering in what ways should this poor sod
have to suffer more? They have
 already spent most of their earthly existence enacting a nightmare, probably
experiencing a kind of emotional void. When is that allowed to end? Surely in
death.