That was quite a trip, in 1972-ish. Trying to get from Colorado to my GF in
Atlanta, I hooked up with this black guy, his cargo van, his motorcycle tied
down in the back, and his Irish setter, through a ride board, when options like
that were still fairy safe.

We left Denver, went south through New Mexico and east into El Paso, into such
a snowstorm, other cars were being blown off the road, literally. Thanks to the
bike in the back, we had traction. After making it across Texas, we met these
two good ol' boys around two in the morning, in Texarkana, at a gas station.
Cold as f*ck outside. We brought the dog in, the guys carried out oil cartons
for us to sleep on, gave us coffee, and we all talked for a long time. Later
on, we'd let the dog out to run on rural roads, and that Irish Setter could
pace the van forever! I was broke back then, and made the trip on very little
food, literally bread and water.

Did a fair amount of traveling like that, back then, always had good
experiences, which I attribute more to my guardian angels, than to my wisdom at
the time!