 From: card <cardemais...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:31 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Stand By Me

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@...  wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey no_reply@ wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:
> > >
> > > On another forum far more limited in scope than even this one, I
> > > occasionally chat with a handful of people who went to the same high
> > > school I did. This is not quite as lame as it sounds, because the whole
> > > school had 30 students, and was located near Casablanca, Morocco. It was
> > > a cool place to go to high school, and made the experience more
> > > bearable.
> > >
> > > Anway, on this forum, one of the people I remember well from that time
> > > has been entertaining people by posting links to old songs that we
> > > literally used to dance to in the Teen Club during that period. It's
> > > been a veritable nostalgiafest. Today he posted Ben E. King's classic
> > > song, and folks went wild.
> > >
> > > Below is the original version of this song, followed by a number of
> > > cover versions. John captures the magic of the song best in the intro to
> > > the first cover version, but the last one is the best.
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0
> > >

> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_ghOG9JQM <
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_ghOG9JQM>
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYt0ZScWZDI
> > >

> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGqeZZt98o <
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGqeZZt98o>
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM
> > >

> > > It's fascinating to me how popular this song was at the time, and how
> > > popular it still is today. It has touched so many people, over so many
> > > years. I can remember *exactly* where I was and what I was doing the
> > > first time I heard it. It stopped me in my tracks and forged an
> > > indelible impression in my mind. I can remember the lyrics 52 years
> > > later as clearly as John did.
> > >
> > > I guess the the music stands by us, even if little else does.
> > >

> > Music is time.
> >
> > As light creates space, sound creates time.
> >
> Odd to have you mention that. I've been thinking the same thing, sort of.
> Visual art captures space, then alters time, according to the observer's
> interest. Music, on the other hand, captures time, and then alters space,
> depending on the effect of the music on the listener.
> Cool stuff.

For what it's worth, most of us might know that according to
e.g. saaMkhya-darshana, aakaasha is associated with sound.

Sez Bhoja-deva, in his commentary on YS, III 41:

shrotraM shabdagrAhakamAhaMkArikamindriyam . AkAshaM
vyomashabdatanmAtrakAryam...
Have never seen that translated, or tried to translate it myself,
so please forgive me any mistakes:
shrotraM shabda-grAhakam AhaMkArikamindriyam . AkAshaM vyoma
shabda-tanmAtra-kAryam
Hearing (shrotram) is the sense (indriyam) perceiving (graahakam)
sound (shabda), belonging(?) to ahaMkaara (aahaMkaarikam). aakaasha
is space/ether (vyoma)created by (kaaryam) the subtle element
(tanmaatra: merely [maatra] that [tat; sic!]) of sound (shabda)...