An essay relevant to the current discussion

By Greg Lyons, junior English major
Published: Wednesday, April 21, 2004
Article Tools:Email This ArticlePrint This Article      Page 1 of 1

To Women:

You are attacking the wrong people if you are trying to separate
yourselves from being labeled as mere sexual objects.

Stop blaming your inequality on strippers, porn stars, prostitutes and
other women who flaunt their sexuality. As a man, I'll tell you right
now that they are not the reason for your objectification.

Suppose, by some horrible act, all the sexually related jobs that
"degraded" and "objectified" women just disappeared today. What would
change? You would still be viewed as sex objects because the
underlying reason behind the objectification is not other women, it is
men.

As I said, even if you forced other women to quit their jobs and then
placed them into more "suitable" professions, you (women) would still
be objectified by men. If you wear a low-cut shirt, we'll try to look
down it; if you wear a miniskirt, we'll try to look up it; if we stare
long enough, we'll start to wonder how good you are in the sack.

Do not think I'm saying that you should start wearing jumpsuits or
cover-alls. Such a proposal would be ludicrous and ineffective because
we would still picture you naked. And no matter what you do on the
outside; we will always, on one level or another, sexually objectify you.