One view that needs to be examined in this context is the notion that
enlightenment can be
transmitted in some subtle experiential way via the physical proximity
of a `master.' Traditional Advaita
disagrees with this view for the reason that ignorance is deeply
entrenched in the aspirant's thinking
and that it is only by deep reflection on the teachings that the
ultimate assimilation of the knowledge
is achieved. This assimilation is often called full or complete
enlightenment. On the other hand, the
transmission fantasy fits nicely into the Neo-Adviatic conception of
easy enlightenment, as it does
away with the need for serious practice. One need do nothing more than
sit in the presence of a
master and presto-chango!—I wake up for good. If this were true,
however, the thousands who sit at
the feet of enlightened masters everywhere would be enlightened.

James Swartz on Neo-Advaita

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill"  wrote:

> When actions conform to dharma, binding vasanas are neutralized.
Dharma
> means that I do what has to be done, irrespective of how I personally
feel about it. I do not
> want to pay my taxes, but I pay my taxes. I may not get a vasana for
paying tax, but I will certainly
> eliminate any agitation associated with non compliance. But when my
desires are all that matter, is it any
> wonder that whatever non-dual experience happens in the satsang when
the mind is temporarily arrested
> by the group energy, quickly vanishes with the appearance of the next
binding desire? This is why the
> Neo-Advaita world is little more than thousands of people, including
the teachers, who have had
> scores of non-dual experiences, but who at the end of the day are
still prisoners of their desires.