That's why I put the word "concentrate" in scare quotes. Maharishi himself
sometimes spoke of a "half-effort" being used in repeating the mantra. Why
could one not effortlessly bring one's attention back to the Ajna chakra in
exactly the same way one favours hearing the subtle sound of the mantra in an
effortless way?

I'm really wondering if there may not be some people who find the audio route
more amenable whereas others might prefer a visual entrance to transcending.

And don't knock Buddhists! They've been around a lot longer than TM!