Pays artists or publishers?  iTunes would be paying the record publisher
in most cases unless the artist is a self-publisher.  Same should be
true for Spotify. Artists were generally screwed by record companies
anyway. Recordings have long been thought of as a way to get people to
your concerts where you make the real money though back in the day one
could make some good money on record and mechanical royalties.  As a
musician I was amazed at how important people thought music was when
Napster popped up.  You'd think they wouldn't have cut the arts from the
school curriculum.