> Hi Xeno, thanks for this. Well there will always be some 96 year old woman
> who "smoked every day of her life and wasn't bothered by the harmful effects
> of cigarettes." Yay for her, you go girl! But I'm gonna go with the
> statistics on this one, thank you! And with the stats on sugar.

You mean the statistics in Xeno's article, right?

> OTOH, maybe Woody Allen got it right in Sleeper:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCeFmn_e2c
>
> What sugar MIGHT be doing to your brain:
> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/09/02/fructose-affects-brain-health.aspx

I believe I told you awhile back that Mercola is
considered a quack.

>From Wikipedia:

Views and controversy

Mercola operates mercola.com, which he has described as the most popular
alternative-health website on the Internet.[3] The site reportedly brought in
about $7 million in 2010 through the sale of a variety of alternative medicine
treatments and dietary supplements. An article in BusinessWeek was critical of
his website's aggressive direct-marketing tactics and complained of Mercola's
"lack of respect" for his site's visitors, writing:

Mercola gives the lie to the notion that holistic practitioners tend to be so
absorbed in treating patients that they aren't effective businesspeople. While
Mercola on his site seeks to identify with this image by distinguishing himself
from "all the greed-motivated hype out there in health-care land", he is a
master promoter, using every trick of traditional and Internet direct marketing
to grow his business... He is selling health-care products and services, and is
calling upon an unfortunate tradition made famous by the old-time snake oil
salesmen of the 1800s.[3]

Phyllis Entis, a microbiologist and food safety expert, highlighted Mercola.com
as an example of websites "likely to mislead consumers by offering one-sided,
incomplete, inaccurate, or misleading information."[12] The Better Business
Bureau, responding to complaints including allegations that Mercola did not
honor an advertised money-back guarantee, gave the website a grade of 'F'.[4]

Mercola has also received three warning letters from the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration for violations of U.S. marketing laws. The first two letters,
dated 2005 and 2006,[13][14] charged Mercola with making false and misleading
claims regarding the marketing of several natural supplemental products, which
violated the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act.[5] In the most recent letter,
sent in March 2011,[15] Mercola was accused of violating federal law, by making
claims about the efficacy of certain uses of a telethermographic camera
exceeding those approved by the FDA concerning the diagnostic and therapeutic
potential of the device (regulation of such claims being within the purview of
the FDA). Dr. Mercola has challenged the FDA's order stating that "We believe
that the FDA's warning letter is without merit and is an attempt to regulate
the practice of medicine, which the agency does not have the regulatory
authority to do. Our use of the thermography device is consistent with its
510(k) clearance for use by health care professionals in their diagnosis and
treatment of patients."[16]

Food consumption
Mercola advocates a diet consisting mostly of unprocessed foods. He sees value
in paleolithic diets and advocates metabolic typing, and is a proponent of
vegetable juicing.[17] Mercola argues fervently against over-consumption of
sugar, especially high-fructose corn syrup, which is the predominant sweetener
of many commercial sodas and soft drinks, and processed flour and grains, which
the body rapidly converts into sugar. He has also been an advocate of
increasing the consumption of Omega-3 fats and of strategies to greatly
increase blood levels of Vitamin D3.

Mercola's dietary recommendations often put him at odds with mainstream dietary
advice.[12] Mercola encourages the ingestion of unprocessed saturated fats,
including unrefined coconut oil in place of polyunsaturated fats such as
vegetable, corn, soy, safflower, sunflower and canola oils.[18]

Food preparation
Mercola's website has called microwave ovens dangerous, claiming both that they
emit dangerous radiation and that microwaving food alters its
chemistry.[19][20] In contrast, academic reviews have concluded that "no
significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by
conventional and microwave methods."[21] Other studies have suggested that food
cooked in microwave ovens can be more nutritious than conventionally cooked
food.[22][23] The Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide states that "as a
general proposition, cooking with a microwave probably does a better job of
preserving the nutrient content of foods because the cooking times are
shorter."[24]

Mercola is also against homogenization,[25] claiming that it leads to xanthine
oxidase absorption and oxidative stress.[26] This idea has been described as
"tenuous and implausible" in the Journal of the American Medical
Association.[27] A review published in the American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition concluded that "Experimental evidence has failed to substantiate, and
in many cases has refuted, the xanthine oxidase/plasmalogen depletion
hypothesis".[28]

HIV and AIDS
Mercola has questioned whether HIV is the cause of AIDS. He has argued instead
that the manifestations of AIDS (including opportunistic infections and death)
may be the result of "psychological stress" brought on by the belief that HIV
is harmful.[29] Mercola.com has featured positive presentations of the claims
of AIDS denialists, a fringe group which denies the existence of AIDS and/or
the role of HIV in causing it.[29][30][4]

The scientific community considers the evidence that HIV causes AIDS to be
conclusive[31][32] and rejects AIDS-denialist claims as pseudoscience based on
conspiracy theories,[33] faulty reasoning, cherry picking, and
misrepresentation of mainly outdated scientific data.[31][32][34]

Drugs and supplements
Mercola opposes the use of most prescription drugs and immunizations, favoring
better food choices, especially unprocessed, organic produce and elimination of
most sugar and grains from our diet, lifestyle modifications, especially
regular exercise, better sleep, and removing household toxins from cleaning
supplies and cosmetics, and energy psychology tools to address emotional
challenges.[35] He promotes and sells numerous dietary supplements, including
krill oil, vitamin K, probiotics, and anti-oxidant supplements.

Mercola is especially critical of new drugs, as well as of the U.S. Food and
Drug Administration.[36]

Sunscreen
Mercola has also claimed that the use of many commercial brands of sunscreen
increases, not decreases, the likelihood of contracting skin cancer with high
UV exposure. He advocates the use of "natural" sunscreens, some of which he
markets on his website.[37] This view is not held by mainstream medical
science; in 2011, the National Toxicology Program stated that "Protection
against photodamage by use of broad-spectrum sunscreens is well-documented as
an effective means of reducing total lifetime UV dose and, thereby, preventing
or ameliorating the effects of UV radiation on both the appearance and
biomechanical properties of the skin".[38]

Vaccinations
Mercola has been highly critical of vaccines and vaccination policy, claiming
that too many vaccines are used too soon during infancy.[39] He hosts vaccine
critics on his website, advocates preventive measures rather than vaccination
in many cases, and strongly criticizes influenza vaccines.

Mercola argues that thimerosal, previously widely used as a vaccine
preservative, is harmful.[40][41] Thimerosal is no longer present in most
vaccines given to young children in the USA, though it is still present in some
vaccines approved for adults.[42] Extensive evidence has accumulated since 1999
showing that this preservative is safe,[43] with the World Health Organization
stating in 2006 that "there is no evidence of toxicity in infants, children or
adults exposed to thiomersal in vaccines".[44][43]

In his book The Great Bird Flu Hoax,[45] Mercola appears to take a stronger
anti-pharmaceutical industry stance by accusing them of a fear-mongering
marketing campaign against the public. In supporting this stance, Mercola often
has wholly critical views of those working in governmental health care, as well
as towards international health organizations. He argues at length that concern
over swine flu and the resulting immunizations were actually false alarms put
forth to terrify the public.[46] The World Health Organization reports that by
August 1, 2010, about 18,500 deaths have been caused by the H1N1 pandemic
influenza.[47]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

(See the page above for links to the references.)

Also see:

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2012/Dr-Joseph-Mercola-Visionary-or-Quack/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc
http://tinyurl.com/mxqt6dg