> Nablusoss, I heard long ago that when a person gets on a spiritual path, the
> master takes on the responsibility to help that person get enlightened.
> Sometimes I wonder if Maharishi didn't take on this responsibility for a lot
> of people who are, what shall we say, challenging cases. And I include myself
> in this category (-:

I think that if someone sets themselves up as a teacher for higher states of
consciousness you have to be prepared for those who need many questions
answered. There will be, in the course of things, those who are a bit crazy to
begin with, there will be those who mistake certain states of mind for
enlightenment for something else, there will be those who become frightened or
disoriented by developing states. If you don't have a support system in place
then you are going to get a certain amount of negative fallout in the form of
humans who simply lose it.

Further,if you're going to teach technique that purportedly encourages
enlightenment then you sure as shootin' better be prepared to deal with the
thousands of practitioners who are going to need guidance, reassurance and
help. One man can not do this and there aren't enough enlightened other people
who could fill the job either. The subjectivity quotient is just too damn high.
Even if I did believe in enlightened states of consciousness (which the jury is
out for me) I think it is a huge responsibility to have support in place if one
is going to start doling out the supposed means to reach 'nirvana' and all
states in between. It would be like giving someone an automobile (a means of
moving around faster and better than walking) and simply handing them car keys
without a driving lesson (or two).

People are very strange and when you start allowing them to use techniques that
can take them "higher" you better have a couple of mattresses set out for the
rough landings. It doesn't appear MMY really had that support structure in
place. Or maybe he underestimated the gullibility and suggestibility of Western
people.