I bet sleep deprivation is only one of the ordeals that Bradley Manning
suffered. No wonder he wants to change his name. It's a miracle that he's still
functional.

________________________________
 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: How the deluded see the world....

livescience.com might want to change it's name to pretentiousscience.com or
fascistscience.com.  They obviously have an agenda and it's not science but the
herd people into being "good, non-complaining consumers."

The conspiracy thing caught my eye and in their context instead of
      being about political conspiracies it should be about family and
      friends conspiring against the individual.  And of course that too
      DOES happen.

Perhaps these "scientists" might try going a few days without
      sleep until they become delusional to really understand what it's
      about.  Sleep deprivation is all it takes to make someone crazy
      and usually only temporarily.

On 08/22/2013 07:04 AM, doctordumb...@rocketmail.com wrote:

>Ironic that the neuroscientists are completely unfamiliar with their conscious
>minds *not* being in a constant state of thought. White rats, chasing other
>white rats.
>
>A few moments of their own mental peace might turn their
              attention away from always studying undeveloped minds. It
              as if science can do no better than to validate an
              immature state of the mind, because the limited awareness
              of the scientists, cannot see any further. What a total
              waste of time.

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...>
>wrote:
>>
>> Delusional People See the World Through Their Mind's
              Eye

>> A mechanism for how the brain creates and maintains
              delusions is
>> revealed in a new study.
>>
>> Having delusions, such as a belief in telekinesis,
              can influence how
>> people see the world - literally.
>>
>> Human beliefs
>> <http://www.livescience.com/16748-americans-beliefs-paranormal-infograph\
>> ic.html> are shaped by perception, but the new research suggests
>> delusions — unfounded but tightly held beliefs — can
              turn the
>> tables and actually shape perception. People who are
              prone to forming
>> delusions may not correctly distinguish among
              different sensory inputs,
>> and may rely on these delusions to help make sense of
              the world, the
>> study finds. Typical delusions include paranoid ideas
              or inflated ideas
>> about oneself.
>>
>> "Beliefs form in order to minimize our surprise about
              the world," said
>> neuroscientist Phil Corlett of Yale University in New
              Haven, Conn., who
>> was not involved in the study. "Our expectations
              override what we
>> actually see," Corlett added.
>>

>> The prevailing thinking holds that people develop
              delusions
>> <http://www.livescience.com/5508-people-unsure-beliefs-close-minded.html\
>> > to predict how events in their lives will occur — just as
>> Pavlov's dog learned to predict that the sound of a
              bell ringing meant
>> dinnertime was imminent. Humans update their beliefs
              when what they
>> predict doesn't match what they actually experience,
              Corlett said.

>> But delusions often appear to override the evidence
              of the senses. To
>> test this idea, German and Swedish researchers
              conducted behavioral and
>> neuroimaging experiments on healthy people who harbor
              delusions.

>> In one experiment, volunteers were given a
              questionnaire designed to
>> measure delusional beliefs. Questions included: Do
              you ever feel as if
>> people are
>> reading your mind?; Do you ever feel as if there is a
              conspiracy against
>> you <http://www.livescience.com/11375-top-ten-conspiracy-theories.html>
>> ?; Do you ever feel as if you are, or destined to be
              someone very
>> important?; and Are you often worried that your
              partner may be
>> unfaithful?
>>
>> The participants then performed a task that tested
              their visual
>> perception: They were shown a sphere-shaped set of
              dots rotating in an
>> ambiguous direction, and asked to report which
              direction it was rotating
>> at various intervals.
>>
>> People who harbored a greater number of delusional
              beliefs (those who
>> scored higher on the questionnaire) saw the dots
              appear to change
>> direction more often than the average person. The
              result confirms
>> findings from previous studies that delusional
              individuals have less
>> stable perceptions of the world.
>>
>> In a second experiment, the volunteers were given
              glasses, which they
>> were told would bias their view so that the rotating
              dots would appear
>> to go in one direction
>> <http://www.livescience.com/14093-optical-illusions-gallery.html> more
>> often than the other direction — a delusion, because
              these were
>> actually ordinary glasses. The volunteers performed a
              similar
>> dot-watching task, with a learning phase and a test
              phase. During the
>> learning phase, the dots clearly rotated in one
              direction, but during
>> the test phase, the direction was ambiguous.
>>
>> While wearing the glasses, the volunteers reported
              seeing the dots
>> rotate in the biased direction, even during the test
              phase. They clung
>> to the delusion that the glasses altered their
              vision, even though the
>> visual evidence contradicted this idea, suggesting
              they used their
>> delusional beliefs to interpret what they were
              seeing.

>> A third experiment was similar to the second, but
              brain scans were taken
>> using functional magnetic resonance imaging. The
              scans showed that when
>> people were deluded about the direction of the dots'
              rotation, their
>> brains were encoding the delusion as if they had
              really seen the dots
>> move that way. In other words, people weren't just
              ignoring what they
>> saw; they were really seeing something else.
>>
>> Furthermore, the brain scans revealed connections
              between a brain area
>> involved in beliefs, the orbitofrontal cortex, and an
              area involved in
>> visual processing, the visual cortex. (Both became
              active during the
>> delusional observations.)
>>
>> Corlett finds the results exciting. The study "gives
              us a nice
>> explanation for the relation between belief and
              perception and how it
>> might go awry," he said.
>>
>> But he cautioned that drawing inferences about people
              who are clinically
>> delusional, such as those with schizophrenia
>> <http://www.livescience.com/34794-schizophrenia-mental-disorder-percepti\
>> on-distortion.html> , may be premature. Time will tell whether the same
>> brain mechanisms are at play for these patients, he
              said.