I knew the guy that developed Google maps before it was sold to Google, and I
wouldn't be surprised if some of the funding came from the govt. The CIA very
openly started an incubator fund in Silicon Valley in the 90's. I remember
reading about it, though haven't heard anything since - big surprise.