> Contorversial?  I thought that's the policy most colleges had.
>
> Sal
>

> On Sep 26, 2005, at 8:45 PM, akasha_108 wrote:
>
> >  At the University of California, Berkeley, a new controversial policy
> >  forbids "romantic or sexual" relationships between professors and
> >  their students. The policy took effect this past July on nine
> >  University of California campuses.

That article, primarily about Yale, did not explain well the "new" two
year old UC policy.

This article does a better job (and is funny).

"In 2003, the University of California's nine campuses ruled to ban
consensual relationshipsb between professors and any students they may
"reasonably expect" to have future academic responsibility for; this
includes any student known to have an interest in any area within the
faculty member's expertise."

This "future" view is far broader than the "current students"
prohibitions that have been in effect for decades. And academic
responsibility is broadly defined to include research oversight, and
writing of letters of recommendations for grad school, etc. It appears
to be that if a student is majoring or minoring in your department, or
even is or has taken a class in your dept, or related field, they are
"off limits".

As she says, "But while engineering students may still pair-bond with
professors of Restoration drama in California ... "