--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Steve Sundur <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> I admit, I enjoyed the Thai telecom piece over the
> "chasing your dream" piece. But I wouldn't really
> draw any conclusions about it. (-:

I was just having a little fun, but the point is IMO
a valid one. Haven't you noticed that most of the
"goals" of TMers are self-serving? To realize *my*
enlightenment, so that *I* can become more happy
and successful. Even the "save the world" goals are
self-serving in that it's *us* who radiate such
powerful Woo Woo that *we* change the world.

I'm just pointing out that there are strong spiritual
traditions that don't even *have* the goal of personal
enlightenment, much less the New Agey "personal success
and happiness" meme. Their whole emphasis is on giving,
and on selfless service -- "doing for others."

One of the most extreme contrasts between these two
approaches to spiritual goals has to do with what the
different traditions think of as their Ultimate Goal.
For most Hindus (and Maharishi, as one), the UG is
for "the drop to merge with the ocean," to become
the Absolute, lose all individuality, and get off the
wheel of life, death, rebirth, and karma forever.

Those who follow the left-hand path of Buddhism, on
the other hand, *don't* seek annihilation; instead they
seek as an UG rebirth as a boddhisattva, incarnating
over and over in endless worlds to help other people.

I'm just pointing out that "giving" was never a big
thing for Maharishi, and thus for many long-term TMers.
*He* expected to get paid for teaching it, and the TM
teachers he trained in turn expected to get paid for
teaching it.

I've been part of other organizations in which *no one*
gets paid to teach or further the teaching. Everyone
(including the teachers at the very top) are expected
to have their own jobs or sources of income, and anyone
who teaches 1) does so for free, and 2) pays all of the
expenses related to teaching themselves. Those who do
so (and I've been one of them) consider this an honor
and an opportunity to advance spiritually, not an
imposition.

Perhaps this last paragraph should serve as an answer
to Buck's question about "where to send people who can't
afford TM but want to learn to meditate." *He* knows how
to teach people to meditate, if I remember correctly.
Couldn't he just do so, for free?

And if someone dares to say, "No, he couldn't, because
the TM organization that Maharishi founded wouldn't like
it or wouldn't allow it," doesn't that kinda make my
point for me?

Maharishi's idea of "giving" was that it was unidirec-
tional; everyone was expected to give to him. The TMO
he left behind him continues with that same expectation.