On 9/27/05 6:52 PM, "akasha_108" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On the other hand, when neo-advaitists sell a dichotomous view of
> "enlightenment", and on top of that proclaim "You just need to BELIEVE
> Peter, and you CAN fly" (as in Peter Pan), "Just BELIEVE it and you
> ARE enlightened -- and the light will be fully and eternally ON" --
> they are being silly too, IMO. Awareness, by itself, Presence, is not
> SUDDENLY found at the top of the moutaintop after a 20-30 year climb.
> Or after some mind game. Its there everyday, to a degree. And as "we"
> enter into it  more, the bouncer at the door, throws us out less often.

This is why once the recognition of the non-dual state, the practice of
meditation changes to almost a non-meditation where one learns to recognize
whether or not one has 'corrected from the state' of non-dual presence. If
we have, we simply "refresh" the state of presence and continue. Without
methods to do so, ego will often decide "yeah, you're in the state" for you.

One thing is for certain, if you are, some form of super-knowledge is a
primary indicator that you are able to remain in the state.

The only reason it is said in advaitist circles that "we are already
enlightened" is that from the perspective of the experience of the non-dual
state it is recognized "it was always like this, this is an unborn state, it
was always sparkling through, I just didn't get it". The problem arises when
people who try to extrapolate the statement "we are already enlightened"
bass-ackwards from waking state POV and proclaim "I am already enlightened".