Tim Burgess, lead singer of The Charlatans, first heard about Transcendental
Meditation at a party drinking Diet Coke: "A friend said I looked bored. I
wasn’t, I was having a great time, but she said I should try Transcendental
Meditation. The words went into my ear like honey. I don’t know why, but I knew
she was right. I looked into it, read up on Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and also the
David Lynch Foundation, and it just all made sense. I meditate for 20 minutes
twice a day now. It’s part of my life.”

 Asked why he finds it useful, he replies, “At the minimum it de-stresses you.
You get thoughts – it’s not psychedelic – but things pop into your brain. John
Lennon used to stop and write his ideas down; I choose not to. I’m enjoying
myself so much I don’t want to stop. Lou Reed started doing it before
Transformer and I thought that’s a great record; John Lennon wrote Happiness is
a Warm Gun and Across the Universe — all his great records — on it. I’m a big
fan of David Lynch too and I’ve always known he’s done it for over 25 years.
The first time I did it, I understood a lot of his films more.”

 Asked how Transcendental Meditation felt, he said, “You know the very first
chord of  How Soon is Now by The Smiths — it’s kind of a tremolo effect? It’s
kind of that sensation, but inside your mind. It’s a wobble and it goes deeper
and deeper and I can only explain it as being cosmic consciousness. It’s an
incredible release of stress.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUMh8GQnDW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUMh8GQnDW8