Jyotirmath, also called Jyotir Math and Joshimath, is a place and a matha
in Uttaranchal, India in the Himalayas. It is the original uttaramnaya
matha or northern monastry, one of the four cardinal pithas established by
Adi Sankara, the others being those at Sringeri, Puri and Dwaraka. Their
heads are titled "Shankaracharya". According to the tradition initiated by
Adi Shankara, this matha is in charge of the Atharva Veda.

Jyotrimath:

[image: Inline image 1]

As it is close to the pilgrimage town of Badrinath, and the matha has not
always been active, it is sometimes said incorrectly that the original
northern matha was established at Badrinath.

In its most recent history, the Jyotirmath became inactive in the early
19th century. The formal occupation of the matha was restarted with the aid
of the heads of some of the other mathas from about 1940 onward. However,
there is an unresolved controversy over the succession to the headship of
Jyotirmath. The best known of the claimants to be the current head or
Shankaracharya is Svarupananda Sarasvati who is also head of the Dwaraka
matha. The other two claimants are Vasudevananda Sarasvati and Madhavasrama.

Source:

'Jyotirmath'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyotirmath