In TM you get one bija mantra to meditate on. So, where does this bija
mantra come from? We do not know where or how the bija mantras came to be
formed, or how they ones used in TM came to be used - we can only
speculate. The origin of the TM bija mantras is not explained by Larry
Domash in big blue books.

History of TM:
http://tinyurl.com/34bras

So, let's review what we know:

Swami Brahmananda Saraswati was a dasanami sannyasin whose guru was Swami
Krishnananda Saraswati. So, SBS got the Saraswati bija mantra from SKS, who
got the same bija from his guru, passed on from a long line of gurus
founded by the Adi Shankaracharya in 800 Ad at Sringeri in Karnataka, India
- as the Sri Vidya sect. The Sringeri adherents worship the Sri Chakra, a
mystic diagram or mandala, used as a symbol for Saraswati, the Goddess of
Learning, with the TM bija mantras inscribed thereon.

The main spiritual scripture of the the Sri Vidya is the Soundaryalahari
attributed to Shankara, which enumerates the sixteen bija mantras used for
spiritual practice- meditation that is transcendental. All the Upanishad
thinkers were transcendentalists of one sort or another. According to the
Shankara tradition, Shankara visited Kashmere and brought the Trika to
South Asia along with a copy of the Sri Yantra and installed it at all the
Shankara maths, dedicated to Tripursundari, the Goddess of Speech. It is a
fact that the Sri Yantra is present at all the Shankara maths including the
math at Sringeri.

Are we agreed so far?

According to Bharati, one explanation for the origin of bija mantras is
that the mantra shows itself in a process of introspective sensory
perception, as a result of deep meditation; or through the grace of the
guru or the istadevata; bijas are either seen or heard,they are not the
result of discursive composition; bijas are revealed in a flash of insight,
as one complete unit; bijas are eternal and only revealed in time; as the
result of deep meditation or from performing japa; or as an act of grace
through supernatural initiation; or bijas may be drug induced.

Or,the bijas were concocted by some early yogins or other esoteric
illuminati when they conceived the idea of using verbal sound clusters
which are not intelligible to the non-initiate to mark off a circle of
adepts. According to Brhaspati, the founder of the Carvaka materialistic
school, bija mantras were made up that cunning priests and that the bijas
sole purpose was to fool gullible folks for their own aggrandizement and
that the tantric gurus were nothing but impostors, rogues and skrimshanks
passing off unintelligible nonsense gibberishfor words of wisdom - hocus
pocus.

Or, that bija mantras are the nick names of the istadevatas who are not
fond of being accosted by their actual names. Go figure.

Another hypothesis concerns the idea of sound vibration called 'spanda' in
Sanskrit: certain sounds are felt to have a special resonance or pitch.
This is the explanation given by MMY who stated that the bijas are sounds
"whose effects are known" from the experience of countless yogins over many
centuries. This may explain why MMY was so attracted to the teachings of
Kashmere tantrism and why MMY was so close to Swami Laksmajoo who taught
the Spanda vibration theory at the 1968 TTC in India.

Lama Govinda wrote that bija mantras are symbol or holy words transmitted
in an initiation that makes his personality vibrate in consonance with the
guru and the whole line of gurus and opens the initiate to higher states of
consciousness. MMY thought that TM and the use of bija mantras provided the
ideal opportunity for transcending and the expansion of consciousness.

Works cited:

'The Tantric Tradition'
by Agehanada Bharati
Rider, 1965