I have some sort of carbohydrate sensitivity/reactive hypoglycemia, but it's
really only a problem if I eat meals with a lot of starch. If I need to go as
much as 7 hours without eating, I eat a steak slathered with butter. That keeps
me going for hours and hours, and when hunger does return, it is very gentle.
As it happens, in addition to having 2.9% Neanderthal DNA, I am also APO E4/E4,
which puts me at the highest risk of Alzheimer's. As I understand it, the E4
variant is the most ancient form of that allele, which amuses me greatly
because in the rarefied woo community that is Fairfield, I am literally a less
evolved creature. From what I've read, sensitivity to carbohydrate is not
uncommon with E4s, which makes us less able to handle a diet of cheap,
fungible, neolithic grains/beans than our more evolved E2 and E3 brethren. With
Alzheimer's sometimes described as diabetes of the brain, I figure I'm on the
right track keeping carb intake low enough to maintain even blood sugar levels.

<fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com mailto:fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Isn't that why they call it "break fast"?

 People who have experienced hypoglycemia get very paranoid about missing
meals.   In the 1970s among TM'er hypoglycemia was rampant mainly due to eating
bad vegetarian diets.  Many went back to eating meat and felt better.  Maybe
some truth in MMY's "eat what your mother puts before you?"  We are essentially
what our ancestors ate.

 If one is paranoid about hypoglycemia the tendency is to overeat rather than
do the anal and inconvenient small meals throughout the day.