Some disorders have similar or even the same symptoms as Narcissistic
Personality Disorder, such as:
 Histrionic Personality Disorder
 Antisocial Personality Disorder
 Borderline Personality Disorder
 Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
 Schizotypal Personality Disorder
 Paranoid Personality Disorder
 . . .

 Wow! If you're a psychiatrist you get lots of chances to change your diagnosis
don't you? And even when you've gone through the alphabet you still haven't
cured your patient.

 The existence of a book like "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental
Disorders" makes me nostalgic for the days of R.D. Laing and anti-psychiatry.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Yep, thanks.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Definitions
 Narcissism, as in excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical
appearance. noun (See egotism) definition:
 • Psychology; extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents
and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
 • Psychoanalysis; self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the
self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of
mental disorder.
 Someone with Narcissistic Personality disorder (NPD) has at least 5 of these
symptoms:
 has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and
talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate
achievements) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power,
brilliance, beauty, or ideal love believes that he or she is "special" and
unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special
or high-status people (or institutions) requires excessive admiration has a
sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable
treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations is
interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or
her own ends lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the
feelings and needs of others is often envious of others or believes that others
are envious of him or her shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Associated Features: Depressed Mood, Dramatic or Erratic or Antisocial
Personality
 Differential Diagnosis. Not everyone who acts like a narcissist is one.
 Some disorders have similar or even the same symptoms such as:
http://www.narcissism101.com/Beginning/personalitydisor.html

 http://www.narcissism101.com/Beginning/personalitydisor.htmlHistrionic
Personality Disorder;
 Antisocial Personality Disorder;
Borderline
Personality Disorder;
 Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder;
chizotypal Personality Disorder;
 Paranoid Personality Disorder;
 Manic
Episodes;
 Hypomanic Episodes;
 Personality Change Due to a General Medical
Condition;
 Symptoms that may develop in association with chronic substance
use.
 Psychology Today: A Field Guide To Narcissism Link
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20051209-000005.html
 Here are some more signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder to look out for:
 Jealousy and possessiveness Excessive need to feel special, adored, loved,
appreciated, or admired Rage attacks when you do not sufficiently meet his/her
needs Controlling behaviors (trying to control how you spend your time, who you
talk to, how you dress, etc.) Inflated self-esteem, or grandiosity (bragging,
"fishing" for compliments) Dramatic, insecure behaviors Expecting you to take
responsibility for making him/her feel better about him/herself Blaming you for
behaviors or feelings (i.e., "YOU made me do this," or "YOU made me feel this
way.") Not taking responsibility for angry behavior and justifying angry
outbursts An attitude that demonstrates "the world revolves around me" and "you
need to cater to my ideas, opinions, thoughts, and feelings." An unwillingness
to reflect on his/her own behaviors

Half the harm that is done in this world
Is due to people who want to feel important
They don't mean to do harm ­
But the harm does not interest them.
Or they do not see it, or they justify it
Because they are absorbed in the endless struggle
To think well of themselves.
 T. S. Eliot