This thread is looking like it's headed for the outhouse.

On 11/6/2013 10:10 PM, emptyb...@yahoo.com wrote:

You're all sounding like desiccated corpses drying in the desert.

There is another type of Christian life here in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0M94z3Pev4

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

*Seraphita wrote: *

    > Re "Then after starting TM I began to feel a need for a worship
    context and joined the

    > church where I'd attended Sunday School, stayed a couple of years
    but wasn't inspired

    > enoughto continue, since I really wasn't into the Personal God aspect of
    the belief system

    > (orChrist as savior). God as Unified Field, the ultimate (and
    unworshipable) abstraction, is

    > about as far as I can go. ":

    > Again very close to my view. Here in the UK, the Anglican Church is
    essentially a wishy-

    > washy nostalgia circus for reminding grown-ups of their childhood.
    (With bits of Arthurian

    > romance added to the mix.) So all pretty harmless. Even arch-atheist
    Richard Dawkins has

    > confessed to occasionally popping into a church just to enjoy the
aesthetic
    experience!

*Heehee. Be fun to see that guy Spufford look up from his prayers and clap eyes on Dawkins.*

*
*

    **

> Having always been intrigued by the occult fringe, I've also seen some attraction in the

> Catholic position: the Mass as a magical ritual and the unembarrassed
veneration of those

> medieval mystics. Even such unregenerates as Oscar Wilde, Baudelaire  and
Huysmans

> finallyturned to Rome as they sensed it was the more poetical religion.

*Huh, I'm attracted by the poetry/music/incense/art/theatrical aspects as well. Goes way back with me to the (wonderful) Audrey Hepburn film "The Nun's Story." I think I'd need a Peter Finch equivalent, though.*

*
*

*To this day I have no idea whether my late father had any religious sensibility whatsoever, but he adored churches and religious music and painting. I guess it's in the genes.*

*I might be tempted to pop into a Catholic church at some point if they were doing a mass in Latin. There's something really magical about Latin. Like Sanskrit, I suppose, but the music is a lot better. ;-) I once memorized the Hail Mary in Latin just because I loved the sound of it. My Presbyterian ancestors (Huguenots, no less) must have spun themselves nearly out of their graves.*