Re "I found myself in Southern California at that most opportune of times, the
beginnings of the Hippie Revolution. It didn't turn out to be all that much of
a revolution, but it sure as hell was fun to be part of.":

 You didn't have to be there. I remember one time dropping acid in Paris and
finding myself heading towards bummers-ville. I mentioned to a French guy that
I wasn't feeling so good and he put The Doors Strange Days album on the stereo
and said: "Just listen to Jim. He's one of us." That did the trick. You really
felt we were all part of one global movement back then. Funny thing is, years
later, I read that Jim Morrison actually hated drop-outs like me!

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 I made the term in the Subject line up back in the late 60s, probably
 before "trickle down" had entered the public lexicon. The reason was
 because I found myself in Southern California at that most opportune of
 times, the beginnings of the Hippie Revolution. It didn't turn out to be
 all that much of a revolution, but it sure as hell was fun to be part
 of.

 We were just college hippies, taking advantage of the lax laws and the
 fact that no one had ever promoted rock concerts on a large scale before
 to run light shows and promote parties/dances/light shows/concerts
 featuring some of the bands that were just showing up on the musical
 horizon at the time. Bands like the Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger
 Service, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors, Big Brother and the Holding
 Company (Janis Joplin), and Jimi Hendrix. We had no money, no insurance,
 and we didn't know what the fuck we were doing, but we had one shitload
 of fun. And we got to party with the bands.

 It was in that setting that I first discovered the quantum mechanics of
 Trickle-down Groupie Status. Hot bands attracted hot groupies, hot to
 trot. But when it came down *to* trotting, there was a definite "pecking
 order" of groupie status. Top of the list -- hottest groupie prize --
 was the lead singer in the band, if there was one. Next came the lead
 guitarist, or guitarists. Next, interestingly enough, came the drummer.
 Then the bassist and the other sidemen. All of them were pretty much
 guaranteed to score at the end of the gig, if 'scoring' was what they
 had in mind.

 Next came the band's manager, and after that the roadies. The guys who
 produced the concert and manned the light show were dead last. But, even
 so, there were more than enough groupies to go around, so fun -- and the
 groupies -- were pretty much had by all. It was a fun time, but it was a
 fleeting time, and I don't think about it much unless someone brings up
 the music of the period here or on another forum.

 So imagine my surprise that my conversations with Ben and his friends at
 Le Verbalon have seemed to confer me some kind of Old Fart Trickle-down
 Groupie Status. To them, the bands of that era are near-gods, the
 pantheon of the modern music revolution. To me, they were just guys and
 gals I was lucky enough to party with for a very short time in my youth.

 They're anxious for stories of those days ("So what *was* it like to
 drop acid with Jerry Garcia?"), and I tell them a few that I suspect
 will entertain them. But afterwards to some extent I can feel them
 projecting some kind of weirdass rock star glammer onto me, *just
 because I met these people a few times*.

 Me, I know the truth. I stumbled onto the scene by accident, enjoyed my
 luck at having done so, and wandered on. None of these "rock gods" would
 remember me (were they still alive), and there is no reason why they
 should. I was just one of the "entourage," another one of the groupies
 (even if they had a legitimate function, like promoting the concert) who
 hung around musicians at that time and in that place.

 But for the French, almost warming their hands at the thought of what
 California must have been like at that time, me having been there, done
 that seems to confer upon me some kinda several-steps-removed groupie
 status on me. Weird.

 I suspect that Bharitu is one of the only people here who will get this.
 He used to play on the same stage as some of these people, as part of
 the opening act. Me, I just hustled to promote the concerts and worked
 the light shows and got invited to the after-parties. Big whoop.

 It was just the scene, at that time. You ran into the kinda people you
 ran into. If you were smart, you tried your best to have a good time
 with them. But -- at the time -- they weren't famous, and neither were
 you. You were just people, having a good time together.

 That shouldn't inspire groupies. It should be commonplace, how things
 work for everyone, all the time.

 Best movie to cover that period (actually more early 70s) is a recent French
film called "Après mai" (ie, After May 1968 - aka "Something in the Air"). It
covers all the bases of the counter-culture and really captures the vibe. Check
it out.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXimuzHv6Ek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXimuzHv6Ek