<snip>
Barry wrote:
> I think that the tendency to believe in things like Atlantis and Lemuria
 and the like can all be attributed to self-importance on the part of the
 people believing in these things. They heard something or read something
 that makes them feel "special" and self-important because *they* "know"
 these things, and the people they look down on as "not as special"
 don't.

 Ann wrote:
 > Yes, absolutely Barry. When one investigates and is curious about the
 > possibility of the existence of earlier cultures or other mysteries
 > concerning the history of the human race, real or simply the product of
 > myth, it must mean those people are full, simply choc-a-bloc, with
 > self-importance. Why didn't I realize that? How logical, how obvious, how
 > ridiculous and laugh-worthy such people are. You have provided me with a
 > real insight here, Bare, and one I know would make the historians, not to
 > mention the entire psychiatric community, reel by its obvious profundity.

 It's amazing how many human tendencies are due simply to self-importance,
innit? It's the answer to pretty much everything. And we'd never have known if
Barry hadn't told us. I guess he's able to see it so clearly because he himself
has never felt even the slightest twinge of self-importance. We just aren't as
"special" as he is, alas.