> --- authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > on 10/2/05 7:55 AM, Peter at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > drum
> > might get
> > Taka-dum-taka-taka-dum-dum
> > >
> > > I got a ghatam this summer:
> > >

> http://chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/ghatam.html
> >
> > Oooh, I want one of those!
> >
> > Nice drum, too.
>
> Too quiet for a drum circle though. They have a drum
> circle here in Ft. Lauderdale on the beach every full
> moon. Hundreds of people go to it. Last month I went
> and played from about 8:00pm to 1:00am. There are
> always about a dozen drummers there that are so good
> your mouth drops open when you hear them play. These
> are African and latin guys. The play polyrhythmic
> subdivisions over and through foundational beats.
> Incredible. For one jam I played a simple clave on a
> big bass drum and everybody played around and through
> it. Amazing experience. Any drum circles folks out
> there?

I used to live near a huge urban park and in a special spot, there was
a drum cirlce every sunday afternoon.  I am not a drummer, but it was
fun and intresting to time my walks to go by during the cirlce. Quite
a lot of talent on all sorts of drums. And rythmic / devotional
dancing. And lots of herbal sacraficing it appeared (and smelled of).
Lots of people apparently living in their vans would roll up and
unload their drums, and all. Looked and felt like 1967.