On 12/13/2013 06:43 AM, awoelfleba...@yahoo.com wrote:

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Richard Williams wrote:

    > The Grateful Dead
    >
    > Rolling Stone ranked them 57th in the list of the "Greatest
    Artists of all
    > Time." I attended several Dead performances in San Francisco in
    1966 at the
    > Fillmore Auditorium and at the Avalon Ballroom along with Owsley
    Stanley.
    > The Dead are listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as
    performing the
    > most rock concerts - 2,318 concerts.

*/The Dead are also the most recorded musical group in history. This is because they never felt "propietary" about their live music, feeling as if it was created in the moment and belonged to the moment, so they allowed fans to record the concerts. They even provided jacks off the sound system so that the early arrivers could get the best quality recordings. As a result, there are very few of those 2,318 concerts that are *not* available somewhere. /*
*/
/*
The Grateful Dead. Couldn't stand their music then and still can't. I thought maybe it would get better with my age but, no. Is it okay for me to be grateful that they are almost dead?

They were a dance band. They couldn't understand at the Seattle concert why people were sitting listening to them as a concert rather than dancing. Most of their tunes were long jams and sometimes lacked much arc. The last time I saw them was in the 1990s where the Oakland Coliseum got turned into one giant bong. Bob Weir lives in this town.

BTW, a lot of these bands had a history of playing in early 1960s rock bands at roller rinks, etc for Saturday night teen dances.