> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Completely agree.  The TM philosophy -- "Do nothing,
> > > accomplish everything -- is horseshit and always has
> > > been.
> >
> > Obviously "Do nothing, accomplish everything" is NOT
> > a "philosophy" of refraining from action.  I believe
> > I may have pointed this out to you before.  It isn't
> > a PREscription for how to live; it's a DEscription of
> > life in enlightenment.
> >
> > The prescription for how to live is: "Established
> > in Yoga, perform action."
>
> Curious how Maharishi recognized the problem of the teacher's words
> coming from his/her consciousness and being (mis)interpreted by
> his/her adherents' consciousness, yet fell prey to it just the
> same.

I wouldn't say it's curious, I'd say it's inevitable
(in fact, I believe that's what *MMY* says).  Even on
the most basic level, there's no way you can eliminate
*all* possibility of misunderstanding (or
misrepresentation, for that matter), no matter how crystal-
clear you are, any more than you can get around the
"mistake of the intellect" at the level of the nitty-
gritty.

In this case, MMY started out with "Do less and
accomplish more," which was understood to be simply a
claim of more efficient action as a result of TM
practice.  Only later, apparently, did he add, "Do
nothing, accomplish everything"--I'd guess in the
context of the TM-Sidhis?--and it took on an entirely
different significance.  It became clear that "Do less
and accomplish more" had had a double meaning all along.

But I've never heard *anybody* suggest that either
was a prescription for refraining from action, except
in the present instance, so I doubt it's a common
misunderstanding among TMers, even the rank and file.

> I.e. "Do nothing, accomplish everything", which is the
> subjective experience of the objective statement, "established in
> Yoga, perform action".

Yup yup yup, nicely put.  Both aspects are pretty
thoroughly explained in MMY's Gita commentary: on one
hand, I (the self) am "helplessly driven to activity";
on the other, "I [the Self] do not act at all."  That
distinction and its ramifications are one of the main
themes of the first six chapters of the Gita.