Rahsaan Roland Kirk

[image: Inline image 1]

We Free Kings - 1961
http://youtu.be/Mk0mSclnUQQ

Roland Kirk - Tenor Saxophone, Manzello, Flute, Stritch
Hank Jones - Piano
Wendell Marshall - Bass
Charlie Persip - Drums

Rahsaan Roland Kirk was a blind American jazz improvisation,
multi-instrumentalist who played tenor saxophone, flute, stritch, and many
other instruments, sometimes all at the same time. His music was intricate,
powerful jazz with a strong feel for the blues. At a live performance at
Ronnie Scott's club in London he even managed to play two instruments AFTER
he had a stroke which paralyzed his left side. Virtuoso guitarist Jimi
Hendrix "idolized" Kirk, and even hoped to collaborate with him one day.
Another great album by Kirk: Rip, Rig & Panic.

Read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahsaan_Roland_Kirk

'Bright Moments. The Life and Legacy of Rahsaan Roland Kirk'
by John: Kruth
Welcome Rain Publishers, New York 2000