--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>> And I am *truly* cynical enough to believe
>> that it may take a "wake up call" on the level of the
>> Great Depression Squared to shock most Americans out
>> of their self-involved lethargy -- politically, eco-
>> nomically, ecologically, and in terms of compassion
>> for their fellow man.
>
> How is this too much different from saying it will take the
> destruction of the French Quarter for a new world of light
> to dawn?

I don't think I said that Americans *deserve* the
Great Depression Squared in a karmic sense (although
there is certainly a case to be made for that), or
that such an event would be the result of some kind
of "Natural Law," only that an event of that magni-
tude may be what is necessary to wake them up.
They're that far gone.  I don't think that they'll
really do anything to change things until they're
starving in the streets.