Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet

Tubes, by Andrew Blum, looks behind the scenes of our digital lives at he
physical heart of the internet itself. These tubes are the real places on
the map: their sounds and smells, their storied past, their physical
details, and the people who live there. Sharing tales of his on-the-ground
reporting, along with lucid explanations about how the role of technology
in our lives.

Excerpt:

"According to TeleGeography, the most heavily trafficked international
Internet route is between New York and London, as if the cities were the
two ends of the Internet's brightest tube of light. For the Internet, as
for so much else, London is the hinge between east and west, the place
where the networks reaching across the Atlantic link up with those
extending from Europe, from Africa and India. A bit from Mumbai to Chicago
will go through London and then New York, as will one from Madrid to Sao
Paulo and Lagos to Dallas.

The cities' enjoined gravity pulls in the light, as it pulls in so much
else. But despite that, the Internet's physical manifestation in the two
cities is completely different. I had started out with the assumption that
London is the old world and New York the new. But with the Internet, the
opposite turned out to be true. If in Amsterdam the Internet was hidden
away in low industrial buildings on the cities' ragged edges, and in New
York it colonized art deco palaces, in London it formed a single,
concentrated, self-contained district - an office "estate," in the British
term - just east of Canary Wharf and the City, known formally as East India
Quay but by network engineers, and most else, as just "Docklands." It was a
massive agglomeration, an entire Internet neighborhood. I wondered what was
at its heart. And how far into its center I could go."

'Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet'
by Andrew Blum
Ecco, 2012