> Dear Faculty and Ideal Administrators:
<multi snips>

> I think we should have cell phones only as an emergency device,
and not use
> them as a regular way of talking and working. Even for emergency
use, it's
> best to use cell phones with speakers in them that can be held
away from the
> head, or using a plastic air-tube and ear-piece, which do not
contain metal
> conductors and which also allow the cell phone to be distanced
from the
> head.

I don't have a problem with the possibility that cellphones may pose
a microwave radiation hazard, but I think Bevan is a little shaky on
the concept: it's the transmitter/antenna that broadcasts the
radiation, not the speakers, and it does not make any difference
whether metal parts that are not transmitters are close to the head,
as they would not be "conducting" the radiation:

"CellAntenna Corporation, a
leading provider of solutions that solve cellular communication
problems,
today announced the potential health benefits of its external
cellular antenna
products.  According to Howard Melamed, CEO of CellAntenna
Corporation,
external cellular antennas drastically decrease the cellular phones
level of
microwave radiation absorbed by the human body when used properly.
    Studies examining the health effects of prolonged exposure to
cellular
phone electromagnetic radiation (EMR) have been inconclusive or have
produced
mixed results.  But the reality is that cellular phones emit
microwave signals
that are partially absorbed by the body as users make and receive
calls on
cellular phones.  The radiation level produced by cellular phones is
exacerbated by environmental interference and sparse cellular
signals, as
phones are engineered to operate at full power while in areas with a
limited
cellular signal.
    Cell phone users can route the cellular radiation away by
installing an
external antenna that connects to their cell phone via an adapter.
The
antenna is then placed at a distance away from them.  Additionally,
external
antennas reduce the radiation power output level of cell phones by
helping
them relay their signals more efficiently to the nearest cellular
towers.
Having lower power output has the added effect of lowering battery
power
consumption and increasing talk time.