> > You raise being clueless to an Art Form.
>
> Cool.  My path involves turning *everything* into
> an artform.  :-)
>
> But if you're not clueless, perhaps you could explain
> to me what you saw in that film that you felt conveyed
> a spiritual lesson of value.  For me, it was sadly a
> two-hour dissertation on sadism, and an attempt to
> make viewers feel something for Christ by portraying
> in excruciating detail all the suffering that the
> filmmaker -- not being enlightened -- could image an
> enlightened being going through.
>
> I *understand* that many people actually believe that
> Christ's suffering somehow magically paid for *their*
> sins.  But IMO this particular filmmaker must imagine
> some pretty icky sins to feel that what he put onscreen
> was what Christ had to go through to pay for his.
>
> I am *not* averse to onscreen violence.  That's not
> the issue.  The issue is that this film spent at least
> 120 of its 127 minutes dealing with Christ's supposed
> suffering and only 7 minutes dealing with his teachings.
> If that's not missing the point, what is?

To balance this, many aspects of the film were
praiseworthy.  I thought the casting was good,
and the use of the real Aramaic, Latin and
Hebrew was really fascinating, and added to my
understanding.  Visually, the film was probably
as accurate a portrayal of the times as has
been put onscreen.  It felt in many places like
a documentary, a dispassionate look at The Passion.

But that's my problem with the film.  It may be
only *my* problem, but as long as it is, I should
try to make it an artform.  :-)

The "dispassion" of the film was what got to me.
Maybe that's because it worked.  Maybe Mel was
making a commentary on what decades of watching
onscreen violence has done to our sensibilities,
and our ability to feel compassion for the
victims of violence.  Maybe he was trying to
show what violence really looks like, by showing
it done to Christ.  I don't know.  I actually
plan to see the film again at some point, to help
me figure out what he was really trying to say
in it.  He's a good filmmaker IMO, and I think I
owe this film a second chance.

It's just that the *focus* seems somehow WAY OFF
to me.  If I were a strong believer in Christ as
my primary spiritual teacher, and wanted to do
justice to the inspiration and light he had brought
to my life, I don't think that I would have made a
film focusing on people pounding the shit out of
him.  I would have focused on his teachings.

But maybe that's just me.  And as we all know, I
am not only clueless, but artsy-fartsy about it.  :-)