[image: Inline image 1]

MMY and Swami Venkatesananda Saraswati at Rishikesh

According to MMY, sidha yoga is a mechanical processes. There is no
religious prayer in the practice of TMer siddha yoga. It's not based on
faith or a particular belief. There is no "god of yoga", which enters into
the physical universe and causes change.

Religions are based on faith and surrender, not on individual freedom and
will-power. Success in yoga is not dependent on any kind of religious
practice.  Mircea Elliade wrote that yoga means freedom and immortality.
'Siddha yoga' means 'perfected, that is, enlightened, transcended into pure
consciousness, which is made manifest in the individual by 'self-knowledge'
and 'Self-Knowlege.

Enlightenment is the state pertaining to 'gnosis' - that which ends the
identity of the mind with sense phenomena - knowledge that is
"transcendentnal", or beyond sense perceptions.

The Sanskrit term 'yoga' refers to the techniques for experiencing higher
states of consciousness in meditation. The earliest mention of meditative
states are the Buddhist records of the historical Buddha. The
"enlightenment tradition" originated in South Asia. Mircea Eliade notes
that yoga and the "shramana" or renounced tradition is native to South Asia
- it isn't found in the mythology or religious systems of western culture.
Asceticism seems to be peculiar to the Buddhist, Jain, and Hindu
philosophies. Go figure.

The first historical yogin was Shakya the Muni, who formulated the
'Eightfold Path' leading to Nirvana. The term 'nirvana' is Sanskrit, and is
the central concept in Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Kashmere Shaivism.
Nirvana is the state of being "enlightened", free from ignorance. A state
where the mind that has come to a point of "perfect lucidity and clarity
due to the cessation of the production of volitional formations." Patanjali
says that yoga is the "cessation of the fluctuations of the mind-stuff"
(Charles Johnston translation).

"Yoga is the cessation of the mental turnings of the mind." - Yoga Sutra,
I.1.2

"Let there be soundless repetition of the [pranava] and meditation
thereon." - Yoga Sutra, I. 1.28

"Chit" is thought; "citta" is consciousness. "Citta vriti" means the
turning of thought in the mind. "Nirodha" is cessation - the turnings have
stopped, ceased, come to a halt, stilled, blown out, made peaceful,
"Nirvana" means release; thought has been totally left behind -
consciousness all by itself; there is no returning; no more. Siddhis are an
indicator of natural law - causation. Patanjali says: Yoga has to do
*isolation* (Sanskrit kaivalya) from the prakriti. Cessation, (Sanskrit
"nirodha) of the fluctuations of the mindstuff and the attainment of
freedom, based on the sheer willpower of the individual (moksha).

"Freedom is a reversal of the evolutionary course of prakriti, which is
empty of meaning for the Purusha; it is also the power of consciousness
in a state of true identity." - Yoga Sutra, 4.34

The 'Yogavasishta' is a synthesis of Upanishadic Advaita, Buddhist
Vijnanavada and the Trika philosophy of Kashmir Shivaism. Swami
Venkatesananda also wrote a lucid abbreviated translation of the
Yogavasishta.  There is also a good translation by Swami Jyotirmayananda.
The Yoga Vasishta sums up the spiritual process in terms of the Seven
Bhoomikas:

1. Subecha - Longing for the Truth
2. Vicharana - Right inquiry
3. Tanumanasa - Attenuation of mental activities
4. Sattvapati - Attainment of Sattva
5. Asamsakti - Unaffected by anything
6. Pararthabhavani - See Brahman everywhere.
7. Turiya - Perpetual Samadhi

Work cited:

'History of Religious Ideas Volume 2'
>From Gautama Buddha to the Triumph of Christianity