"The Democrats want my guns and the Republicans want my porno mags and I ain't
giving up either" - Joey Ramone

 That view - ie, mainstream politicians of both the left and the right are
*not* the solution to our problems - has always appealed to me. Punk was more
than just music, of course. Its essential attitude was that we should just be
ourselves - warts and all - and ignore the "ideals" that society expects us to
conform to. So even plain or downright ugly people could adopt a style of
clothing that said: "This is what I am - accept me come what may." Sometimes
the results were boringly self-indulgent or downright offensive; but sometimes
they gave a certain dignity to those at the bottom of the social scale that you
had to respect.

 Derek Jarman - being a true artist - captured the essence of punk in his film
Jubilee. Here's a song from the film that is both patriotic and deeply
subversive . . .

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRg5pLD9EI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRg5pLD9EI