Since Michael got me thinking about the writing thang again, I thought
I'd try to start a thread *about* writing, and hope that it doesn't
devolve into mere ankle-biting.

Writing is a Class I narcotic.

If you can get into the flow of it, it's a more powerful high than any
street drug you can name. I've tried many of them in my day, so I speak
with some experience on this subject. :-)

And the "high" comes -- at least for me -- from a phenomenon I call
"reversing the flow." It's IMO what artists do that transforms what they
do from mere doing into art.

Most of our lives we spend "taking in" the flow of life. We are
bombarded by so many sights, sounds, and experiences. They flow
seemingly from "outside" of us *into* us, where we process them mentally
and physically and turn them into our perception of reality. And we also
turn them into our philosophy about life, whether we think of it in
those terms or not. Each of these experiences *shapes* us, *colors* us,
and transforms us in many ways.

And ALL of these experiences are still floating around in our brains
somewhere, ready to be accessed if we can only find the key to get back
into them. For me, one of the mechanisms that provides that key is
writing. When I sit down and try to write about a past spiritual
experience, often magic happens and it becomes a present spiritual
experience.

When you find the key to these formative spiritual experiences in your
brain, you can allow them to "come out," and express themselves in your
writing. And that process feels very much to me like "reversing the
flow." Instead of "taking in" the experiences the world has presented
you, you get to "send them out" instead. You get to feel the same
energies, but now flowing *from* you back out into the world they came
from. It's a real rush.

Trying to capture the elusiveness of a very high alternate reality state
of attention in words, it's as if the only way my brain can accomplish
that is by putting me *back* into that same alternate reality state of
attention. And the wonderful thing is that it's *still there*. By
writing about it I can pull that state of attention into the present,
"put it on" like a suit of clothes, and "wear" it again while writing
the story.

It's just the damndest thing. It's pretty much my favorite thing these
days, now that I've kinda weaned myself from chasing gurus.

One of the most fun things for me, which you don't get to see often here
on this forum because I don't post those kinds of writing here, is to
write characters. What makes that fun is that I do a kind of mental
trick when I do so. I "put on" the character, assume their identity, and
"wear" them for the duration of the story or scene I'm writing.

That's what made the writing of the two scorpion stories in Road Trip
Mind so much fun for me. The first one came out fairly spontaneously,
during that short "time window" after an experience where you can still
remember it clearly. The event in question had been a particularly
powerful desert trip with Rama, and I was still reeling from it, so much
so that I wasn't sure I still had an "I" to reel. I had actually made an
audio tape of some of the things said on that trip, and after
transcribing it I knew I wanted to turn it into a story, but every
attempt to start writing it failed until I hit upon a quirky idea.

Why not tell my story from someone else's point of view? Tell about the
same events, but "as seen by" someone else. And so, being me, I chose an
Anza-Borrego Desert scorpion as my narrator. I tried to imagine what it
would be like to be a wise-ass scorpion living in Carrizo Gorge, and
"put on" his mindset. Then I managed to "wear" it while writing the
story. The whole story, as it turned out, because it all came out in one
short burst of binge-writing. And man! was that FUN. What a high --
being not only someone else, but someone not even of your species.

Unfortunately, both in real life and in my story, the evening didn't
turn out so well for my narrator-scorpion. He got smushed. And on some
level I missed him, because I'd had so much FUN being him. Then, years
later, when I was struggling to find a way to *end* Road Trip Mind, my
Native American girlfriend read the first scorpion story and said, "You
should write about him again." That idea stuck in my head, even though I
had killed him off in the first story.

So I just reincarnated him. The last story in RTM is written from the
point of view of his next incarnation. Talk about FUN! I was sitting
there in a Santa Fe bar laughing out loud as I got to be him again, and
that story just came out, again all in one session of binge-writing.
What a high. I think the waitress thought I was high on something.

And I was. I was high on writing.

Which brings me back to the original subject. *Can* we think of writing
not only as a way to capture and convey spiritual experience to others,
but as a *spiritual experience in itself*? I think we can.

Musicians certainly do it. Painters are famous for doing it. Both sets
of artists have a long history of talking about the experience *of*
composing music, or creating a painting. Well, I'm just suggesting that
writers can, too.

Good spiritual writing (and probably good writing, period) is IMO
achieved by getting the fuck out of one's own way. The more *self*
you've got "in the way" when you reverse the flow, the less able you are
to write effectively. To allow the creative flow *to* flow, you've kinda
got to drop being a self, and just be.

It sounds like work, but it isn't. It's a real high. And unlike drugs,
not only is the first one free, all the subsequent ones are, too.